The Vital Nerves
The Vital Nerves
A Practical Guide for Physical Therapists
The Vital Nerves is a comprehensive, must-have roadmap to the functional anatomy of the nervous system. Enriched with anatomical drawings and detailed explanations, it explains neurological testing, common neuropathies, and differential diagnoses, and is an indispensable resource for physical therapists and bodyworkers.
Osteopath, lecturer and author John Gibbons offers an accessible introduction to the peripheral nervous system (PNS). Alongside real case studies and guidelines for hands-on work with clients and patients, The Vital Nerves demystifies and makes accessible everything from how to diagnose nerve conditions to understanding how our cells communicate.
Gibbons provides critical insights into the structure and functions of the PNS; the body’s response to stimuli and how it knows what to do; the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems; understanding the stress response; and how reflex testing can aid in diagnosing conditions like Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease, and paresthesias. The Vital Nerves addresses practical, common considerations like how to:
- Assess the nervous system using a patella (reflex) hammer, myotome (muscle) testing and dermatome (sensory) testing
- Determine whether pain in the posterior part of the thigh is caused by the sciatic nerve, piriformis or simply a hamstring strain
- Decide at what level a disc may have herniated
- Differentiate between upper and lower motor neurone disorders
- Know what to do with the findings of your neurological assessment and the circumstances under which to refer patients for more specialist care.
Due 30th November 2020
978 1 913088 18 7
275 x 212 mm
200 colour photos and images